Thursday, September 22, 2011

The "Fallen" Bandwagon


As I was walking the YA isles of my local library, and appreciating the sight of my own book gracing its shelves, I came across the much publicized and beautifully covered Fallen Novel by Lauren Kate.

I picked it up and read the blurb. “Mm…sounds like a YA, looks like a YA…let’s give it a try,” I thought after I made sure my own book was slightly tilted for a better view. *wink*

I’ve had little time lately to read too many other books, though I am constantly reading, but my To Be Read and Reviewed pile is quite long. However I did want to put this issue to rest. I can’t help wonder what makes a book so popular. I had not read any other reviews, all I knew was that it is a bestseller and the cover is beautiful.

So what did I think? Blah…not boo, just blah.
It was a page turner, I have to say that much. Corny at times, but the author did do a great job at making you turn pages. If you rate books that way, then I would have to give it a four. But the ending was less than satisfactory…much much less.

The ending is meant to leave you wondering and so curious that you’d want to buy the next book, but frankly I don’t much care. I think I’ll just get more of the same: Build-up without resolution. Their pent-up passion and love seemed to come out of nowhere. She spent too much time making Daniel be “not interested” and little time showing us his own struggles to keep away from her. Frankly when he finally came clean and showed her how much he loved her, it was corny and anti-climatic.

But who am I to judge! The book has sold millions of copies! So obviously I’m alone here.

8 comments:

  1. You're right ... it is an awesome cover. Too bad the inside didn't live up for you. :-(

    Always enjoy visiting your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oppinion of the book might have been different had I been 16. That being said, I've read YA's that I've loved in my 30's so....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I felt exactly the same way: disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so out of what's popular that I've never even heard of the book. Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There you go! I knew I wasn't alone on this one, Mshatch. It could have been better.
    Debbie, don't worry. I'm usually late getting of the popular bandwagons. I had never even heard of "Twilight" until the movie was out!
    I'm a classics chick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unsatisfactory endings can keep me from reading a book, especially a book that's part of a series. I'll wait until the series is completely done to start it if I've heard otherwise good things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't a fan...and I've read the other books too..there was no plot line in this story; just seemed too scattered in my opinion.

    So cool you're an author btw! I'm an aspiring author :)

    ReplyDelete